Igreja de S. António
Close to Lisbon Cathedral is the Igreja de Santo António, erected on the very spot where the saint was born. This is a highly important monument in the city, both for visitors from outside the city and for the local inhabitants, who come here to show their devotion to their patron saint.
The church was built in 1767 in the neoclassical style, in keeping with the design produced by the architect Mateus Vicente de Oliveira.
Inside, attention is drawn to the paintings by Pedro Alexandrino and the various sculptures, in particular the painted and gilded statue of St. Anthony on the high altar. Note the polychrome azulejos covering the walls of the sacristy, produced at the Real Fábrica do Rato and dating from the early 19th century