Igreja de Santa Maria
The parish of Santa Maria de Sintra dates back to the time of Portugal’s foundation as a nation, when Dom Afonso Henriques, the first king of Portugal, conquered Sintra from the Moors. At that time, a small chapel was built here, later reconstructed in the 13th century by the prior Martim Dade.
The great earthquake of 1755 caused serious damage to the church, but the original Gothic portico survived, displaying the Renaissance features that correspond to alterations made in the 14th century.
Inside, the attention of visitors is drawn to the mediaeval decoration of the capitals and the painted and panelled vault of the ceiling, the Manueline font, a Renaissance stoup and an excellent 17th-century painted and gilded statue of Our Lady of the Conception.